Petition for Immediate Relative or Spouse

  • $1500 + Immigration Fee

How to Sponsor Your Spouse for a US Green Card

Sponsoring your spouse for a US green card marks a significant step towards building your life together in the United States. This process hinges on key procedures: establishing your marital bond, navigating the application for permanent residency, and successfully completing the visa interview. It's a journey that encompasses an array of forms and terms, from the Form I-130, affidavit of support, to understanding the nuances of immediate relative visas, making it essential to grasp each phase comprehensively.

Embarking on this path, you'll encounter terms like consular processing, adjustment of status, and conditional residence, which are pivotal in transitioning to a lawful permanent resident. This guide aims to demystify the spouse visa requirements, offering a step-by-step approach to the spouse visa application, from filing your petition to post-visa approval steps. It’s crafted to aid you in navigating through the complexities of family immigration, ensuring a smooth process toward securing a permanent resident card for your spouse.

Understanding Immediate Relative Visas

Understanding the intricacies of Immediate Relative Visas is pivotal in the sponsorship process for your spouse's Green Card. Here's a breakdown to guide you through:

Types of Immediate Relative Visas:

  • IR1 and CR1 Visas – for spouses, where IR1 is issued to those married for more than 2 years, and CR1 is for those married less than 2 years, granting conditional permanent resident status.
  • IR2 Visa – for unmarried children under 21.
  • IR5 Visa – for parents of U.S. citizens.
Eligibility and Application
  • To be eligible, the spouse must be an immediate relative, which includes spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents of U.S. citizens.
  • File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to start the process. If in the U.S., follow up with Form I-485 for Adjustment of Status; if outside, proceed with consular processing.
Key Considerations

There are no numerical limitations on immediate relative visas, ensuring that eligible applicants can proceed without waiting for visa availability.

Understanding the grounds of inadmissibility and potential waivers is crucial, as these can affect eligibility.

Starting Your Application: Filing The Petition

Starting your application to sponsor your spouse for a U.S. Green Card involves filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This initial step establishes the marriage relationship and is critical for the subsequent stages of the application process. Here's a breakdown of the required documentation and considerations:

Required Documentation
  • o Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.
  • o A copy of the civil marriage certificate to prove the legitimacy of the marriage.
  • o Copies of divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees, if applicable, to demonstrate the legal termination of any previous marriages.
  • o 2 of each Passport-style photo of both spouses.
  • o Evidence of any legal name changes.
  • o Proof of U.S. citizenship or Green Card holder status of the sponsoring spouse.
  • o Birth Certificate of any children.
  • o Complete employment details for the last five years, including the company name, address, phone number, and job description with start and end dates.
  • o Copy of Beneficiary passport.
  • o Medical examination will be required once requested by the agency by there approved doctor.
  • o Last 5 years residence history.
Filing Considerations
  • o For U.S. citizens, if the spouse is inside the U.S., both Form I-130 and Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) should be filed simultaneously. If the spouse is outside the U.S., only Form I-130 needs to be filed initially.
  • o For Green Card holders, if the spouse is inside the U.S., Form I-130 should be filed first. Form I-485 can be filed once a visa number becomes available. If the spouse is outside the U.S., only Form I-130 is required at this stage.

This step is the foundation of the marriage Green Card process, setting the stage for either adjustment of status or consular processing depending on the spouse's current location.

Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing

When deciding between Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing for sponsoring your spouse for a U.S. Green Card, understanding the key differences and requirements of each process is crucial. Here's a comparison to guide your decision:

Location & Process:
  • Adjustment of Status: For spouses already in the U.S., requiring Form I-485. Handled by USCIS. Ideal if the sponsoring spouse is a green card holder and the spouse seeking a green card lives in the U.S. with valid immigration status.
  • Consular Processing: For spouses outside the U.S. or those in the U.S. without valid immigration status. Involves Form DS-260 and is managed by the NVC. A must for spouses living abroad or in the U.S. without valid status.
Time & Cost:
  • Adjustment of Status: Typically takes 8-14 months. Involves more forms and fees but allows for work permit and advance parole application.
  • Consular Processing: Generally faster (14-18 months) and less expensive. Applicants must undergo an interview, medical exam, and cannot apply for work permits or advance parole during the process.
Finality & Benefits:
  • Adjustment of Status: Decisions can be appealed. Applicants may apply for work permits and advance parole.
  • Consular Processing: Decisions are final. Requires police certificates, an interview, and a medical exam.

Choosing the right path depends on your specific circumstances, including your current location, immigration status, and whether the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen or green card holder.

Preparing for the Visa Interview

Preparing for the visa interview is a crucial step in the spouse sponsorship process. Here's what you need to know and do:

Key Areas of Focus During the Interview:
  • Relationship Details: Expect questions about how you met, your wedding, daily life, children, personal habits, and significant events.
  • Future Plans Together: Be prepared to discuss your plans as a couple, including living arrangements and long-term goals.
  • Authenticity of Marriage: The interviewer will evaluate the genuineness of your marriage and your eligibility for a green card.
Preparation Tips:
  • Honesty is Crucial: Always be honest and open in your responses. Practicing answers to potential questions can help you feel more confident.
  • Documentation: Bring all necessary documents, including your appointment letter, passport, photographs, Form DS-260, birth certificate, medical examination results, and additional documents specific to family-based visa applications like Form I-864 Affidavit of Support.
Additional Steps:
  • 1. Read Embassy Instructions: Familiarize yourself with the specific instructions provided by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, including any pre-interview requirements.
  • 2. Medical Examination: Ensure you have completed the medical examination by an authorized physician and have all the required forms for the interview.
  • 3. Digital Fingerprint Scans: Be prepared for ink-free, digital fingerprint scans during the interview.

After the Visa Approval: Next Steps

Timeline and Validity:
  • The process generally concludes in approximately 9-12 months, but this can vary based on whether you're married to a U.S. citizen or a green card holder.
  • If your marriage ends before receiving the green card, it may lead to a denial of the application due to questions about the marriage's genuineness.
  • The type of green card issued depends on the length of your marriage at the time of visa approval: Less than two years results in a CR1 Conditional Green Card, valid for two years. More than two years results in an IR1 Permanent Green Card, valid for 10 years.
Entry and Fee Payment:
  • You must enter the United States before your immigrant visa expires.
  • Before traveling, pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee to ensure the processing of your Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, also known as the Green Card).
Receiving Your Green Card:
  • After entering the U.S., your Green Card will be mailed to the address you provided. It's essential to keep your address up to date with USCIS to avoid delays.

Maintaining Permanent Residence

General Guidelines:
  • Maintain Permanent Residence: Your status is upheld until naturalization or if lost/abandoned.
  • Avoid Extended Absences: Absences less than six months are typically fine, but more than six months can raise scrutiny. A Reentry Permit (Form I-131) is advisable for longer absences.
  • File U.S. Tax Returns: As a resident, you should file federal tax returns in the U.S. to demonstrate your intent to live permanently in the country.
Potential Risks to Status:
  • Conditional Status: Be cautious of actions that could terminate your Conditional Permanent Resident Status under INA Sections 216 and 216A.
  • Abandonment: Moving abroad with the intention to live there permanently, declaring nonimmigrant status on U.S. tax returns, or long periods outside the U.S. can be seen as abandoning your status.
Proactive Measures:
  • Documentation of Intent: Keep evidence of your intent to live in the U.S. permanently, such as family ties, property, and professional affiliations.
  • Legal Consultation: For personalized advice, especially in complex situations, consulting an immigration attorney is recommended.
  • Stay Informed: Regularly check for updates and changes in immigration policies that might affect your status.

Through this comprehensive guide, we've traversed the intricate process of sponsoring your spouse for a U.S. Green Card, starting from the initial petition to the culminating steps post-visa approval. Each stage, whether it is deciphering the types of immediate relative visas, preparing for the pivotal visa interview, or navigating the terrain of adjusting status versus consular processing, holds its own set of complexities and crucial considerations to ensure the smooth progression towards achieving permanent residency for your spouse.

Recognizing the significance of this journey, not only as a procedural pathway but as the foundation of building a shared life in the United States, it's paramount to approach each step with thorough preparation, awareness of the enduring implications, and a keen adherence to the guidelines outlined. As we conclude, let this guide serve not just as an instructional map, but as a beacon of support in navigating the challenges and celebrating the milestones on the path to reunification and the establishment of a permanent home together in the U.S.


  • How Can I Sponsor My Spouse for a US Green Card?
  • To sponsor your spouse for a US Green Card, you must fill out and submit the USCIS Form I-130, also known as the Petition for Alien Relative. This form is required for each family member you wish to sponsor and can be submitted either online or via mail.

  • What Is the Initial Step to Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage?
  • The initial step in obtaining a green card through marriage involves submitting Form I-130, the Petition for Alien Relative, to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which operates under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

  • What Are the Required Steps to Sponsor a Green Card?
  • The process for sponsoring a green card, especially for employers in the U.S. looking to sponsor employees, involves several key steps:

    • 1. Assess the eligibility of the employee and choose an appropriate visa category.
    • 2. If necessary, complete a Permanent Labor Certification Application.
    • 3. Submit Form I-140, the Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker.
    • 4. Proceed with the adjustment of status application process.
  • Is It Necessary to Hire a Lawyer for a Marriage-Based Green Card Application?
  • While it's not mandatory to hire a lawyer for a marriage-based green card application, it's highly recommended. Given the importance and complexity of the immigration process, seeking professional legal assistance can be very beneficial.

Contact Info