Application for Certificate of Citizenship

  • $500 + Immigration Fee

Understanding N-600: The Path to Certificate of Citizenship for a Minor

The Certificate of Citizenship, obtained through Form N-600, is vital for those born abroad but eligible for U.S. citizenship through their parents or by operation of law before turning 18. This document is your official proof of U.S. citizenship, pivotal for minors claiming citizenship at birth or after but before adulthood. Filing the N-600 form, whether online or by mail, along with the required supporting documents, is the first step in securing a U.S. Citizenship Certificate for a minor. Understanding how to apply for the U.S. Citizenship Certificate involves knowing the eligibility criteria, gathering the necessary supporting documents, and navigating the application process efficiently.

Eligibility Criteria for Applying for Certificate of Citizenship (N-600)

Navigating the eligibility criteria for applying for a Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600) can be straightforward once you understand the specific conditions outlined in the Immigration Nationality Act (INA). Here’s a breakdown to help you determine if you or your minor child qualify:

  • Automatic Citizenship Acquisition:
    • Born outside the U.S. to at least one U.S. citizen parent.
    • Automatically obtained citizenship status before turning 18.
  • Eligibility Under Specific Conditions:
    • If claiming citizenship through a U.S. citizen father and born out of wedlock, requirements include demonstrating a blood relationship, paternity acknowledgment, and the father's physical presence in the U.S.
    • Eligibility may still apply if a child did not automatically acquire citizenship before a parent's death under section 322 of the INA.
    • For children under 18 temporarily present in the U.S. under lawful admission, a parent or legal guardian can apply for naturalization on their behalf.
  • Residency and Custody Requirements:
    • The applicant must be under 18, residing in the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of a U.S. citizen parent.
    • The residency requirement is waived for children of U.S. government employees or Armed Forces members stationed abroad.

Remember, the law in effect at the time of the applicant's birth or when the last qualifying condition was met determines eligibility. It's essential to consult with an immigration lawyer if your situation involves complex scenarios such as adoption, birth out of wedlock, or if the U.S. citizen parent is deceased.

Documents Required for the Application Process

When applying for a Certificate of Citizenship using Form N-600 for a minor, it's crucial to gather all required documents to ensure a smooth process. Here's a breakdown of what you'll need:

  • For Applicants Residing Outside the United States:
    • Two identical, color, passport-style photographs (2-inch by 2-inch).
  • Essential Documents for All Applicants:
    • The applicant’s birth certificate or record.
    • Evidence of the parent’s U.S. citizenship, including the U.S. citizen parent’s birth certificate.
    • Form N-600, utilized to request a Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Additional Documents Depending on Specific Circumstances:
    • Proof of legitimation for children born out of wedlock.
    • Proof of legal custody for the applicant.
    • A copy of the full, final adoption decree, if applicable.

It's important to note that photographs are not required for applicants residing within the United States. Each document plays a pivotal role in establishing eligibility and identity, so ensure accuracy and completeness when submitting your application.

Filing Process and Associated Fees

When you're ready to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship for a minor using Form N-600, understanding the filing process and associated fees is crucial. Here's a streamlined overview to guide you:

  • Filing Options:
    • Online: Accessible for applicants within the U.S. except for those applying for a fee waiver or members/veterans of the U.S. military.
    • By Mail: Mandatory for applicants outside the U.S., seeking a fee waiver, or members/veterans of the U.S. military. Use the USCIS Lockbox address relevant to your location.
  • Fees:
    • General Fee:
    • Fee Waiver: Available for U.S. military members/veterans filing on their own behalf.
    • Payment Methods: Money order, personal check, cashier’s check, credit/debit card (using Form G-1450). Each filing fee must be paid separately.
  • Additional Steps:
    • USCIS Account: If filing by paper, you'll receive a USCIS Account Acceptance Notice for case tracking.
    • Biometrics Appointment: Presence in the U.S. is required for biometrics and potential interview.
    • Signature and E-Notification: Ensure the form is signed. Attach Form G-1145 for e-notification of application receipt.

Navigating the N-600 filing process with clarity on the fees and steps involved can significantly ease the application journey for obtaining a U.S. Citizenship Certificate for a minor.

Understanding the Timeline and What Happens After Filing

After you've submitted Form N-600, the journey towards obtaining a Certificate of Citizenship for a minor involves several key steps. Here’s a simplified timeline to help you navigate what comes next:

  • Receipt Notice: Within 2-4 weeks of filing, expect to receive a receipt notice (Form I-797C, Notice of Action) confirming your application is being processed.
  • Biometrics Appointment: Roughly 5-8 weeks post-filing, you'll be notified about your biometrics appointment, an essential step for identity verification.
  • Potential Interview: Approximately 6-10 months after your application is filed, be prepared for a possible in-person interview, though not all applicants will need to attend one.

After these steps, if your application is approved, USCIS will mail the Certificate of Citizenship directly to you. However, it's crucial to understand that processing times can vary widely, from 4-22 months, influenced by factors such as application complexity and USCIS workload. To ensure a smooth process, avoid any actions that could jeopardize your application, like traveling outside the U.S. without proper authorization. If faced with a denial, remember you have the option to appeal within 30 days using Form I-290B.


Throughout this exploration of the Certificate of Citizenship acquisition process via Form N-600, we've navigated the complex criteria and steps necessary for minors born abroad to officially confirm their U.S. citizenship. From understanding eligibility requirements to compiling the essential documents and mastering the filing process, including navigating the fees, this guide aims to demystify each stage of application for families seeking to secure their children's citizenship rights. It underscores the importance of precise attention to detail and strict adherence to the guidelines provided by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

As families embark on this critical journey towards securing a Certificate of Citizenship for their minor, it’s paramount to remember the significance of this document in affirming one's status as a U.S. citizen. While challenges may arise, this process is a crucial step in promising a secure and recognized future for one's children within the United States. Bearing in mind the potential for varying processing times, applicants are encouraged to approach this process with patience and thorough preparation. Ultimately, the journey reflects both a fulfillment of legal requirements and a milestone in a minor's lifelong connection to their American identity.

Addressing Common Challenges

Navigating the application process for Form N-600 and securing a U.S. Citizenship Certificate for a minor involves several steps where families might face challenges. Here are common hurdles and how to address them:

  • Documentation Complexity: Create a checklist of all required documents based on your specific situation. Gather supporting documents like birth certificates, evidence of parent's U.S. citizenship, and legal custody proofs well in advance. Utilize the USCIS website for a comprehensive list and examples.
  • Understanding Eligibility: Review the eligibility criteria carefully. If your case involves complex scenarios such as adoption or a deceased U.S. citizen parent, consider consulting an immigration lawyer to clarify your minor's eligibility.
  • Filing and Processing Times: Prepare for variability in processing times by filing the Form N-600 as early as possible. Keep track of your application through the USCIS online account and plan for potential travel restrictions during the application process. Patience and proactive planning are key.

Eligibility Criteria for Certificate of Citizenship

When understanding the eligibility criteria for the Certificate of Citizenship through Form N-600, it’s essential to grasp the specific conditions under which this document is issued. Here’s a concise breakdown:

  • Birth Location and Citizenship Acquisition: USCIS does not issue Certificates of Citizenship to individuals who became U.S. citizens by being born in the United States.
  • Purpose of Form N-600: This form serves as tangible evidence of U.S. citizenship, recognizing the applicant's citizenship status.
  • Special Considerations for Applicants Under 18: If the applicant is under 18, resides outside the U.S., and did not acquire U.S. citizenship at birth, Form N-600K may be the appropriate form to file instead.


  • Is it necessary to file Form N-600 for my minor child? Yes, filing Form N-600 is advisable even though the USCIS does not automatically issue a naturalization certificate once a child becomes a U.S. citizen. Obtaining a certificate of citizenship can be crucial for your child when applying for jobs, student loans, and other situations where proof of citizenship is required. The Global Citizenship Law Office (GCLO) recommends securing this certificate for your child's future needs.
  • How does a child qualify for U.S. citizenship? Under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA 320), a child can automatically acquire U.S. citizenship before reaching the age of 18 if they meet specific criteria. These include having at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen, either by birth or through naturalization, and being lawfully admitted to the United States as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence.
  • What is the timeframe for obtaining a citizenship certificate for a minor? The process of obtaining a citizenship certificate for a minor typically takes about 5 to 8 months after filing Form N-600. If the child is under 14 years of age, they may be exempted from taking the Oath of Allegiance. Once the N-600 application is approved and the Oath is taken (if required), the USCIS will issue and mail the Certificate of Citizenship to the applicant.
  • What documents serve as proof of U.S. citizenship for a minor? Proof of U.S. citizenship for a minor can include several documents, such as a copy of the child's Permanent Resident Card or birth certificate (if available). Additionally, evidence of U.S. citizenship of either parent, like a naturalization certificate or U.S. passport, can also serve as proof of the child's citizenship.

Contact Info